Derek brings more than 20 years of experience to his work in patent prosecution, portfolio management, intellectual property due diligence, and technology transfer and licensing matters.
His strong track record of successful outcomes, coupled with his technical training as an electrical engineer, give Derek a unique perspective on the challenges facing in-house legal departments and technological innovators in a broad range of industries.
Clients turn to Derek for tactical guidance in the following areas:
- Protecting software, computer, and electrical technologies by securing patent, copyright, and other IP property protection
- Growing and managing large patent portfolios
- Obtaining strategic patent coverage
- Negotiating intellectual property licenses and non-disclosure agreements
- Due diligence, product clearance, and litigation avoidance and support
Chambers USA has twice recognized Derek’s work in intellectual property law. He regularly speaks and writes on topics ranging from online privacy policies to software patents.