Technological changes have brought opportunities — and challenges — to the energy and telecommunications sectors that were unthinkable a generation ago. Michael Best has deep experience with the complex legal and regulatory issues affecting utilities and telecommunication providers.
We understand the implications of breakthrough technologies in natural gas, wind, and solar power, as well as the ramifications of wireless infrastructure systems.
Drawing on the diverse resources of our firm to form multidisciplinary teams, we represent utilities and telecom clients in a broad array of matters, such as:
- Government relations issues, including participation in administrative rules development, the creation of legislative solutions, and dealings with state regulatory and local government bodies
- Regulatory permitting for significant energy infrastructure, including power plants, transmission lines, gas pipelines, solar arrays, and wind farms
- Site acquisition, including real estate and land use permits
- Project financing and development
- Contested regulatory proceedings, including complaint proceedings, service-territory disputes, and rate-making proceedings
- Rate regulation
- Asset sales and purchases, including the purchase of power generation facilities
- Environmental issues, including discharge permits, contaminated property cleanups, and emission reduction credits
Our utility clients span all types of energy production and delivery, including electric; natural gas; nuclear; and renewable energy sources such as wind, hydroelectric, solar, and biomass. We represent regulated gas and electric utilities, electric transmission companies, municipal utilities, private distribution-only companies, independent power producers, developers, energy service providers, and energy resource organizations.
In the area of telecommunications, our clients include technology-driven telecom providers across the industry spectrum, from retail and wholesale wireline providers to wireless PCS providers, common carriers, and resellers.