Michael Best has a proud history of aiding people and organizations of limited means. We recognize that by donating our skill and experience, we can help strengthen our communities and bring about meaningful change for people facing extreme challenges.
We provide pro bono services to many charitable, arts, and civic organizations that positively impact people’s lives every day. Our attorneys have donated pro bono legal services related to crisis relief, children with special needs, foster care, teens with cancer, domestic violence, affordable housing, land conservation, libraries, public schools, churches, Native American tribes, and numerous other worthy causes and clients. We also provide pro bono services through the federal district courts in Wisconsin, state bar associations, and a variety of legal aid organizations.
Our firm is a signatory to the Pro Bono Institute’s Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge. The Challenge articulates a voluntary, single standard for major law firms, as well as performance benchmarks and an annual reporting requirement. Challenge signatories publicly acknowledge their institutional, firmwide commitment to provide pro bono legal services to low-income and disadvantaged individuals and families and nonprofit groups.
Additionally, Michael Best is a member of the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation, through which we provide free legal assistance to social entrepreneurs around the world. The Foundation’s mission is to support and empower those working to bring about high-impact, sustainable social change, such as improving education, fighting disease, combating global warming, protecting civil rights, and lifting people out of poverty.
In 2014, the Milwaukee Bar Association honored Michael Best with the Pro Bono Publico Award for its demonstrated commitment to working for the public good.
At Work in the Community
Our work in the community includes working with organizations such as:
- Access Community Health Centers
- Affordable Community Housing Development
- Cannedwater4kids Inc.
- Chicago-Kent Patent Hub at the IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
- City of Chicago, the Chicago Park District and Chicago Public Schools
- Edgewood College
- Freedom United
- Friends of the Brookfield Public Library
- Friends of the Charles Allis Museum
- Genocide Intervention Network
- Girls on the Run of Greater Milwaukee
- Kid’s Matter
- Legal Action of Wisconsin
- Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee
- Madison Repertory Theatre
- Milwaukee Ballet
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Wisconsin
- Nonprofit Center of Milwaukee
- Rape Crisis Center
- Sand County Foundation
- Student Tenant Education & Mediation Program
- Wisconsin Biodiesel Association
- Volunteer Lawyers Project
- Teens Tackling Cancer
- Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program
- Wills for Veterans