Clients turn to Dan because he is an outstanding trusted advisor and litigator who handles cases (class actions, multi-plaintiff, and single plaintiff) and other matters involving myriad employment, higher education, and other issues. His clients include colleges and universities; businesses (from financial services to film studios); municipalities; and non-profit organizations.
Clients rely on Dan because of his deep knowledge of employment law and higher education law; exceptional judgment; strategic advice; and litigation success. His expertise includes:
- Discrimination and harassment suits
- Retaliation and whistleblower claims
- Non-compete, non-solicitation, and confidentiality agreements
- Hiring, disciplining, and terminating employees
- Medical leaves and disability
- Litigation avoidance and strategy
- Addressing financial challenges
Dan’s work is regularly honored by regional and national ranking organizations. He is recognized by Chambers USA as a Leading Labor & Employment Lawyer, holds an AV® (preeminent/highest) rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, and is listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2012- Present), Midwest’s Best Lawyers (2021- Present), Illinois Super Lawyers (2006 – Present) and Chicago’s Top-Rated Lawyers (Chicago Tribune and Wall Street Journal).
Dan is passionate about service, including serving on the Board of the National Association of College and University Attorneys. Dan’s public service includes serving as a Highland Park, IL City Councilperson (2011-21). The Judges of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the Chicago Chapter of the Federal Bar Association recognized Dan’s dedication to service with the “Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service” in 2010.
Dan has held various leadership roles at Michael Best, including helping to lead the firm’s Higher Education Group, previously serving on the firm’s Management Committee, as the Managing Partner of the Chicago Office, and as the Chair of the Labor & Employment Relations Group.
Highlights of Dan’s experience as a litigator include:
- Led trial team when jury found no liability against our client, one of the largest municipalities in Illinois, in a federal case alleging disability discrimination. This case helped to define and limit the scope of an employer’s obligation to provide employees with a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Led trial team when jury found no liability against our client in a federal case alleging retaliation and other claims
- Bench trial victory on behalf of a large healthcare entity in a groundbreaking case claiming discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation
- Obtained summary judgment (affirmed by the Seventh Circuit) on behalf of a large healthcare entity in a national origin discrimination case. This case is frequently cited for the compelling argument we made that a court is not to act as a “super personnel department” substituting its judgment for the decision-making process of an employer.
- Attained dismissals and successful resolutions of disability discrimination, harassment, retaliation, defamation, and other claims against leading universities
- Attained numerous dismissals, summary judgment and successful resolutions of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour and other claims against businesses, higher education institutions, municipalities and other clients.
Class action and multi-plaintiff cases
- Defeated plaintiffs' motion for class certification and obtained summary judgment (affirmed by the Seventh Circuit) in a 10-plaintiff case against a large employer. The plaintiffs alleged race and national origin harassment and discrimination and retaliation.
- Successfully represented a construction company in a multi-plaintiff case that alleged federal and state wage and hour claims. The claims alleged misclassification and denial of overtime pay.
Non-compete and trade secret disputes
- Defended and successfully resolved a non-competition lawsuit filed against a bank, mortgage company, and senior executives after the mortgage company had hired a group of senior executives and other employees from another mortgage company
- Prevailed in and successfully resolved numerous other disputes involving non-competition, non-solicitation, non-disclosure, and trade secret claims. Cases include successful hearings on motions for temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions, on behalf of banks and other financial services institutions, professional services companies, hedge funds, and other clients.
Honors & Recognitions
- Leading Labor & Employment Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2021-Present
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Employment Law - Management, 2012-present
- The Midwest’s Best Lawyers©, Employment Law - Management, 2021
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rated
- “Illinois Super Lawyers” list, Super Lawyers magazine, 2006-present
- 40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 Years Old to Watch, Law Bulletin Publishing, 2000
- Chicago’s Top Rated Lawyers, The Chicago Tribune and The Wall Street Journal
- Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the Chicago Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, 2010
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA) Board of Directors
- Annual Program Committee, 2021-2022 (Co-Chair, Compliance Working Group); Annual Program Committee, 2018-2019 (Co-Chair, Compliance Working Group), 2017-2018, 2016-2017 (Co-Chair, Business and Real Property Working Group), 2015-2016, 2008-2009, 2007-2008
- CLE Committee, 2010 and 2013
- Member, University of Chicago Law School Visiting Committee, 2006-2009
- Member, American Bar Association, Employment and Litigation Committees
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
June 20, 2023
May 17, 2023
March 1, 2023
August 18, 2022
June 25, 2022
June 10, 2022
June 1, 2022
May 5, 2022
December 1, 2021
November 18, 2021
October 1, 2021
August 19, 2021
August 11, 2021
August 4, 2021
July 27, 2021
June 24, 2021
June 17, 2021
February 17, 2016