Ed serves as a trusted advisor and counselor to business clients on a wide range of matters involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, advertising, unfair competition, contracts and corporate strategy. He helps clients develop strategies to obtain, protect, exploit, and enforce their intellectual property rights and protect against allegations of infringement. He also advises clients on issues related to software, technology, privacy and cyber security.
Clients trust Ed’s experience and judgment to make practical, results-oriented business decisions about their most valuable assets. He recognizes that his success is measured by his client’s ultimate success in the marketplace.
Ed’s firm service includes leading the firm’s Ethics & Risk Management Committee, Conflicts Committee and Pro Bono Committee. Ed previously served as co-chair of the firm’s Data Security and Privacy team, co-chair of the Class Action/ MDL team, and as a member of the firm’s recruiting committee and associate and paralegal hiring and compensation committees. The firm was awarded the Milwaukee Bar Association’s 2014 Pro Bono Publico Award under Ed’s leadership.
Ed’s pragmatic yet creative approach to guiding clients towards solutions to business disputes is evident in the following representative matters:
- Counsels one of the world’s leading providers of water heating and water treatment solutions to protect and defend its intellectual property while maximizing the value of its brands
- Counsels Singer Vehicle Design, the world's preeminent automobile restorer, as it navigates trademark, advertising, and media-related issues worldwide
- Counsels one of the world’s leading providers of sports medicine products protect its intellectual property and build its brands
- Counsels clients enforcing and defending trademark rights, including in preliminary injunction proceedings and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Represented a college in a software license dispute
- Represented a health care technology company in a software license dispute
- Counsels businesses through issues involving cyber security, data privacy, and data breaches
- Secured favorable settlement for trademark owner on the eve of trial
- Counseled a consumer product manufacturer and defeated class action claims for false advertising
- Counseled a printing software business through the resolution of a supplier dispute resulting in a transaction that avoided litigation
- Counsels and represents businesses defending claims for violation of the False Claims Act
- Counsels and represents businesses in a variety of technology-related disputes
- Counsels various businesses on matters related to operations where the primary objective is to minimize risk and avoid or resolve disputes
- Secured victory for health care providers defending class action claims arising from prices charged to uninsured patient
Honors & Recognitions
Ed has earned the highest possible peer review rating, AV® Preeminent™, by Martindale-Hubbell®. He has been recognized as one of Wisconsin’s intellectual property litigation "Rising Stars" by Milwaukee Magazine.
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Member, Milwaukee Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, American Bar Association