Rich has built a strong track record in intellectual property law, advising innovators at all stages of the patent process, with a focus on mechanical technologies. He helps clients grow and manage patent portfolios, avoid or invalidate competitor patents, leverage their IP assets, and defend against infringement claims.
Through his extensive experience obtaining utility and design patent protection, Rich has become a trusted, long-term business partner to numerous multinational producers and manufacturers, including Fortune 500 companies. Rich works closely with clients, providing tailored guidance on optimal U.S. and international patent strategies to achieve their goals. Clients value his responsiveness as well as his practical, timely advice and rely on him to manage all their patent needs.
Rich is also the immediate past Chair of the firm’s IP Practice Group. He continues to serve as a leader in the group, championing the team’s growth and focus on providing efficient, high quality legal counsel to clients around the world.
Rich’s work has been honored by leading regional and national ranking organizations. He has been named a “Leader in The Field” by Chambers USA and named an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine.
Rich’s intellectual property law practice is broad, including:
- Patentability searching, analysis, and counseling
- Application preparation
- Application prosecution before relevant offices
Infringement and validity analysis
- Counseling clients toward non-infringing designs
- Preparation of non-infringement/invalidity opinions
- Monitoring competitive patent activity
- Counseling on enforcement of patent rights
- Inter-partes review proceedings
- Re-examination proceedings
- European opposition proceedings
- Litigation support in infringement cases
Intellectual property agreements
- Product development