Paul Hoffman has retired from Michael Best effective December 31, 2019. For any matter inquiries or assistance, please contact Partner Paul Jonas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414.277.3466.
Paul crafts solutions to the business and legal challenges faced by his clients, who value his tenacity, responsiveness, and creativity. His practice concentrates on commercial real estate with a health care focus. Areas of emphasis include:
- Real estate acquisition, financing, and development
- Commercial leasing
- Commercial, multi-use, and residential condominiums
- Utility installation siting and development
Paul’s clients benefit from his depth of experience across a broad range of issues. Recent matters include:
- Handling the purchase and sale of a 15 low-income housing project portfolio across eight states, with assumed financing. Paul’s team is delivering considerable value to the client by meeting the challenges of organizing 15 new nonprofit entities, applying for tax exemptions for each entity, addressing conveyancing law practices in eight jurisdictions, and coordinating closing and title insurance needs through a national service representative, utilizing a network of local agents.
- Coordinating real estate services for health care clients, including creative applications of condominium and other ownership structures to offer diversified investment opportunities while maintaining hospital campus control
- Assisting a private university in expanding its student-housing inventory through master leases of newly constructed residence halls from private developers
- Coordinating real estate services for a Milwaukee-based logistics company in acquisition, leasing and construction of real property and buildings in Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, and Utah
- Managing the efforts of a seven-member Michael Best real estate team on addressing real estate issues encountered in the formation of an independent electric transmission company. This involved the transfer of ownership interests in several hundred properties and the assignment of approximately 40,000 easements from the six contributors to the new company. Paul appeared before the Public Service Commission with utility representatives to solicit commission buy-in to creative means of structuring shared revenue opportunities among the new company and its contributors. He was also the primary drafter of the many real estate and assignment documents used in the transaction.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law and Land Use and Zoning Law, 2010-2020
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Milwaukee Bar Association
- Member, Waukesha Bar Association
- Member, Wisconsin Bar Association