Eli helps clients develop strategic patent portfolios in the United States and abroad. He has experience preparing and prosecuting utility and design patent applications in several areas including mechanical, electrochemical, control systems, medical devices, agricultural equipment, renewable energy, and consumer products.
Eli also provides patentability, non-infringement, freedom to operate and validity analysis for a broad range of clients. He negotiates and prepares licensing, confidentiality, non-disclosure, and joint development agreements as well.
With years of experience prior to his legal career in operations management, quality control, product development and process engineering in the forest products industry, Eli is a trusted advisor having a strong ability to relate to his clients, understand their business needs and responsively develop strategic, cost-effective legal solutions.
- Works closely with a client’s engineering team during development of new commercial products to compete in a crowded patent landscape, helping the team avoid competitors’ patents while identifying and protecting novel aspects of its products.
- Implemented a strategic international patent filing strategy tailored to provide cost-effective patent protection for a global producer of window coverings and treatments.
- Represents global leader in wheelchairs and related mobility solutions performing freedom to operate analysis and strategic global patent portfolio development.
- Serves as a trusted advisor to in-house patent team of a leading golf equipment manufacturer to implement strategic patent protection and freedom to operate for innovations developed on a rapid design cycle.
- Developed and implemented a strategic U.S. and international utility and design patent portfolio for a leading producer of hair styling, grooming, and cutting products.
- Eli has represented clients in a variety of industries, quickly assimilating different technologies, including:
- Diesel generators, air compressors, and light towers.
- Manual and power wheelchairs, and related seating and positioning technology.
- Window shades and treatments.
- Bottled beverage production (bottle molding, aseptic fill, hot-fill, bottle design, etc.).
- Golf equipment.
- Brewing and fermentation equipment.
- Cookware, tableware, and kitchen accessories.
- Forestry and logging (feller-bunchers, forwarders, loaders, skidders, etc.).
- Pulp and paper manufacturing.
- Hair clippers, trimmers, shavers, and grooming tools.
- Vacuums, extractors, and related carpet cleaning equipment.
- Renewable energy, including geothermal and wind power systems.
- Electrochemical batteries.
- Member, Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Director, UW-Stevens Point Paper Science and Chemical Engineering Foundation (2010-Present)
- Foundation President (2018-2020)
- Volunteer Attorney – Wisconsin Wills for Heroes (2014-Present)