Chris concentrates his practice in the areas of corporate and securities law. He counsels businesses on sophisticated corporate transactions, and helps to structure and negotiate mergers, acquisitions, and divestures; joint ventures; corporate and start-up financing; and formation and restructuring.
He also helps clients navigate securities matters including debt and equity financing transactions, compliance, and more. Chris’ experience includes representation of issuers of securities, as well as investors, underwriters, and placement agents in connection with public and private, primary and secondary offerings of equity and debt securities as well as private placement and PIPE transactions. He has represented many publicly listed companies in their securities compliance (including 34’ Act and Section 16 compliance), stock exchange-related, and general corporate and commercial matters and routinely interacted with applicable regulatory authorities, including the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). He also assists companies in going public through reverse mergers and self-filings.
Chris serves many small and midsized clients in an outside general counsel capacity. He regularly advises on day-to-day business issues including general contract review, corporate and LLC structuring, vendor contracts, franchise agreements, employment agreements, and corporate governance matters. Chris also advises his clients with regard to their intellectual property rights including filing, monitoring, and maintaining trademark and copyright applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
He represents clients across a variety of industries, with a concentration in the hospitality, biotechnology, and renewable energy sectors. Notably, Chris has assisted renewable energy businesses with corporate structuring and tax equity investments for solar farm development projects, including sale-leaseback and inverted lease transactions.
- Represented companies with high volume acquisitions and divestures of corporate assets.
- Represented numerous companies and underwriters in initial public offerings and secondary offerings. Drafted registration statements, responded to SEC comments, complied with exchange listing requirements, finalized prospectus, drafted closing documents, and conducted closing.
- Represented companies and underwriters in conducting private placement equity offerings. Negotiated and structured the offerings, drafted private placement memoranda, subscription agreements, blue sky filings, COBRA Desk filings, and closing documents.
- Represented public and private companies in the issuance of debt instruments, including secured promissory notes, convertible promissory notes, guarantees, bonds, security/collateral agreement, and related UCC filings.
- Represented buyers and sellers in the acquisition, sale, and/or merger of public and private companies. Negotiated and drafted merger agreements, proxy statements, registration statements, and conducted closings.
- Represented public companies in the international reincorporation and reorganization of domestic and foreign entities, including reincorporation from the United Kingdom to Delaware, drafted Scheme Arrangements and related reorganization documents, and coordinated conversion of ADRs.
- Represented various entities and management companies in the hospitality industry in connection with the establishment, development, and operation of restaurants and hotels.
- Represented numerous start-up and established companies in multiple industries in connection with outside general corporate services, including but not limited to biotechnology companies, employee staffing firms, hospitality services, vendor, and distribution companies.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Winston-Salem Chamber Under 40 Advisory Board Member