A persuasive advocate, Charlie vigorously defends employers and benefit plans in courts and other forums. He excels at assessing and fixing problems that arise with employee benefit programs and providing a strategically driven approach to benefits compliance and risk management planning.
As exclusive employee benefits counsel to many nationwide employers, Charlie’s practice focus extends to:
- Counseling on Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance and strategic planning, particularly with respect to contingent workers
- Advising associations on the establishment of Association Health Plans
- Advising and defending employers regarding multiemployer pension plan claims, including withdrawal liability and contribution claims
- Litigating and favorably resolving large retiree health class actions, including arguments before the U.S. Court of Appeals
- Assisting employers with legal issues associated with establishing on-site clinics and wellness programs
- Providing analysis and advice to employers concerning new employee benefit legislation and regulations
- Representing numerous employers in state and federal courts, courts of appeals, and other forums
- Providing consultation and advice to employers pertaining to benefits issues associated with collective bargaining, insurance practices, employer policies, and applicable laws
- Advising and defending employers on Americans with Disabilities Act and Family and Medical Leave Act matters
Charlie has written and spoken extensively on benefits-related topics ranging from the ACA and the legal environment of wellness programs to the Family and Medical Leave Act.
Charlie is an active member of the Employee Benefits Committee of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and works with Chamber staff in providing comments to federal agencies on current and proposed employee benefits law.
Charlie’s work is regularly honored by regional and national ranking organizations, such as Chambers USA, which named him a “Leader in the Field,” and The Best Lawyers in America.