Michael Best strongly supports engineering and science students who have a desire to explore the world of intellectual property. If you have a passion for technology and a genuine interest in the law, there is no better place to learn about patents, technical research, and legal writing.
EDGE Intern - 2017 Engineer & Scientist Summer Program
Michael Best invites engineering and science students who wish to explore the world of intellectual property to apply for a paid internship in our EDGE program. Our talented 2017 summer interns will likely be placed in Milwaukee, WI, Madison, WI, Chicago, IL, and in Washington, D.C. Hiring decisions will be made throughout the fall semester.
If accepted into our program, you will perform patent and technical research and writing. EDGE interns will also review patent applications, draft documents for attorney review, research and report on patent filings and perform other duties and projects assigned by the intern's manager.
EDGE interns will work directly with our intellectual property professionals and be exposed to our patent engineer, scientist and agent program. Under the guidance of highly skilled professionals in the industry, you will develop your research and writing acumen and become well-versed in the latest technologies and technical developments. Michael Best will assign an experienced Intellectual Property professional to mentor you, help you set goals, and ensure you have access to all of the tools necessary to be successful and benefit from your time spent in our EDGE program. At the end of your internship, you will receive a formal performance appraisal and feedback.
Every paid EDGE internship offers:
- Formal goal-setting and evaluations
- Challenging work assignments including patent research and writing
- Networking and social activities
- Multiple resources for each student including mentors, advisors, and the EDGE Program Manager.
EDGE requirements include:
- Passion for technology and a genuine interest in patent law
- Highly proficient research skills and demonstrated analytical ability
- Detail-oriented with excellent time management and follow-up skills
- Possesses strong initiative and is proactive in working with others
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Valid authorization to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor's Degree, Master’s Degree, and Ph.D. Students, as well as Post-Docs
- Computer Science, Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Engineering Majors
- Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Biophysical Chemistry and Life Sciences Majors (Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Neurobiology, etc.)
EDGE internships are considered for the summer. To be considered, a candidate must have excellent academic credentials. Please include your cumulative GPA and expected graduation date in your resume. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and (unofficial) transcripts. The writing sample may be any paper in which you took a position, and/or argued a point. It’s helpful if there is technical content related to your major.
Michael Best is steadfastly committed to providing equal employment opportunity and maintaining a workplace for employees and applicants for employment that is free from discrimination based upon age, race, religion, color, disability, marital status, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact Human Resources at 414.271.6560 or firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.