David is a zealous and unrelenting advocate in employment and labor relations matters. He also serves as general counsel for selected clients. David’s practice is defined by his singular commitment to helping clients achieve their business objectives.
A seasoned practitioner, David maintains a keen focus on helping clients manage employment law and corporate law risk by point-of-decision counsel and through the general counsel relationship. He brings over 40 years of experience to the bargaining table to achieve cost-effective solutions that preserve and maximize business opportunities.
David’s clients span numerous industries and range from health care providers to manufacturers and government contractors.
David is a recognized leader in labor and employment law. In 2015, Chambers USA ranked him as a “Leader in the Field.” David’s creative Value Fee Arrangements facilitate integrating purchase of legal services with corporate procurement best practices.
Broadly experienced, David has:
- Set precedent by winning labor arbitration in the newspaper industry that enabled the introduction of printing technology
- Negotiated initial labor contracts in the health care, nonprofit, retail food, manufacturing and government contracting industries
- Negotiated concessionary contracts in the printing, retail food, manufacturing, meat processing, broadcast and newspaper publishing industries
- Initiated innovative consumer-driven health benefit plan designs
- Negotiated more than 250 labor contracts with various labor organizations, including UFCW, UAW, AFSCME, SEIU, Steelworkers, Teamsters CWA (inc Newspaper Guild), and GCIU
- Defended employment claims before the National Labor Relations Board, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Department of Labor and counterpart state agencies
- Negotiated more than 200 severance arrangements
- Served as outside general counsel for a federal contractor in the service and construction industries
Honors & Recognitions
- Leading Labor & Employment Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2003-present
- AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Employment Law – Management and Labor Law – Management, 1995-present
- The Midwest’s Best Lawyers©, Employment Law – Management and Labor Law – Management, 2021
- Listed in Wisconsin Super Lawyers, 2005-2008, 2011-2015,
- Named one of Wisconsin Law Journal’s leading Labor and Employment Law attorneys
- Member, Wisconsin State Bar, Employment and Labor Law Section
- Member, Milwaukee Bar Association, Employment Law and Employee Benefit Law Sections
- Charter Member, Wisconsin Retirement Plan Professionals, Ltd.
- Charter Member, Greater Milwaukee Employee Benefits Council
- Senior Member, MRA Attorneys Roundtable