Katelyn assists private companies and healthcare organizations with a variety of corporate and transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and contract negotiations.
Katelyn works closely with Michael Best’s Healthcare practice to help health industry clients navigate transactional, governance, regulatory, and information security issues. She leverages a deep understanding of the complex issues healthcare organizations face to provide tailored, actionable counsel to clients.
Katelyn advises clients in the healthcare industry including payors, providers (physician groups, hospitals, and systems), device and software developers and healthcare technology (HealthTech) companies on day-to-day matters related to vendor contracting, compliance matters, and governance and board relations. She routinely counsels clients on the unique operational and regulatory hurdles they face being in a heavily regulated sector and is well-versed in the areas of corporate practice of medicine, HIPAA/HITECH, state data privacy/security laws, antitrust and Antikick-back/Stark law issues.
She delivers strategic guidance and representation in larger projects, such as corporate restructurings, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and in the development of new service offerings or partnerships.
Katelyn’s experience includes:
- Formation and structuring of multiple physician practices across numerous specialties including primary care, anesthesiology, psychiatry, internal medicine, and gastroenterology.
- Representation of a care management organization and health maintenance organization in the sale of its assets to a publicly traded multi-state healthcare organization.
- Representation of a regional health insurance company in the negotiation of exchange agreements and related documents in relation to various combination transactions with health systems.
- Joint representation of two prominent Midwest social services organizations in a strategic combination of the charitable organizations.
- Representation of a non-profit organization with a healthcare education driven mission in a merger with a strategic partner.
- Representation of healthcare innovators in high-volume contract negotiations with over 50 hospitals and health systems across the country.
- Advised a private company in the acquisition of a healthcare IT consulting business.
- Represented a technology company in a $450 million sale of client’s business.
Prior to joining Michael Best, Katelyn was an Associate at a Wisconsin-based business law firm. While pursuing her J.D., she served as a legal extern for the Metro Atlanta Business Court where she researched complex business cases and helped draft judicial opinions. Previously, Katelyn worked as a legal intern for a life insurance company. There, she researched corporate and healthcare issues.