Michael Best has the knowledge to help you navigate the intersection of business and government, as well as the connections to help you shape public policy. Our Government Relations and Public Policy practice group has extensive experience advising businesses, individuals, nonprofits, municipalities, quasi-government entities, and trade associations on legislative and regulatory matters.
Many of our team members have served in senior positions in government and private industry, and some are currently engaged in outside activities in politics. Our well-rounded experience adds valuable perspective when framing compliant solutions in legal, policy, and political contexts, as well as providing clients with access to influential decision- and policy-makers.
Our collaborative and proactive approach is based on a clear understanding of the challenges confronting your organization — and your short- and long-term objectives. Think of us as members of your team who are committed to helping you develop a coordinated, timely strategy to meet your goals.
Through our strong relationships with media relations specialists, public polling organizations, lobbying firms, grassroots consultants, local counsel, and other outside consultants, we are able to build teams that deliver tactically targeted results. We also excel at creating solutions that address the complex — and sometimes conflicting — requirements of multiple state agencies or overlapping local, state, and federal jurisdictions.
Michael Best’s Government Relations and Public Policy lawyers focus on assisting clients in the following areas:
Advising on issues related to political campaign finance regulations, election laws, ethics regulations, lobbying and political advocacy regulations, and tax law.
Helping clients shape public policy by providing comprehensive, strategic counsel on all facets of local, state, and federal legislative and regulatory processes. We also represent local governments, schools, and other public and quasi-public entities, serving as special counsel on select issues.
Michael Best Strategies LLC
Our dedicated business consulting, government relations, and public affairs affiliate, Michael Best Strategies LLC, helps clients develop and deploy strategic business plans in conjunction with a full range of services, including lobbying and public relations.
Our services also include:
- Developing strategic government relations plans targeted to both the state and federal levels
- Building and coordinating professional teams, including media and other consultants
- Legislative drafting and analysis services
- Counsel on reapportionment law
- Legislative and executive agency monitoring
- Preparing witnesses for legislative and administrative hearings
- Preparing political compliance plans
- Government contract services, including privatization proposals
- Trade association representation
- Applying for and securing business development assistance from local, state, and federal governments