Often, the solutions to our clients’ issues lie in their ability to help shape public policy — and to see that it is properly implemented into law.
Michael Best’s Regulatory Law team members are highly experienced public servants and lawyers who understand the complexities of a dynamic regulatory and legislative environment. Leveraging our wealth of knowledge and experience, we offer our corporate and nonprofit clients comprehensive, strategic counsel on all facets of local, state, and federal legislative and regulatory processes.
We regularly represent our clients’ interests before regulatory and legislative bodies. Recent Examples include:
- Advising clients on compliance with complex environmental regulations and permitting schemes including challenging denials of permits and the legality of rules, regulations and standards clients on compliance with complex environmental regulations and permitting schemes including challenging denials of permits and the legality of rules, regulations and standards.
- Advised state agencies on existing and proposed laws and regulations that included matters pertaining to COVID 19, energy, transportation, agriculture, privacy & cybersecurity, healthcare, gaming, transportation and labor employment.
- Representing clients in navigating the intersection of business and government, including negotiations and litigation with both government regulators and private entities under complex regulatory schemes.
- Drafted statutes, regulations, administrative rule while also advising on legislative strategy.
- Successfully advised the Governor on the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (JCAR) procedures that upheld the Illinois mask wearing and gathering regulations during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Local governments also face complex legal issues as they work to serve the needs of their constituents. We have considerable experience — and success — in representing the diverse interests of local entities, from municipalities, school districts, technical colleges, and quasi-governmental entities to local agencies. Among other issues, we help our governmental clients comply with public records and open meeting laws. Our wide-ranging experience also includes land use regulation, government relations, tax law, and administrative law.