In a constantly changing regulatory environment, financial institutions need legal counsel that is not only knowledgeable, but also takes a proactive role. We apply our decades of experience, along with foresight and creativity, to help our clients adjust their products and strategies as the marketplace evolves.
Michael Best serves as principal securities and general corporate counsel for large and small clients throughout the financial industry, from local credit unions to international banks and insurance companies. Our attorneys are well versed in compliance and regulatory issues, including consultation with the Federal Reserve, Office of the Comptroller of Currency, FDIC, and Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions. We have extensive experience with consumer protection statutes and regulations such as the Truth-in-Lending, Real Estate Settlement Procedures, Equal Credit Opportunity, and Wisconsin Consumer acts.
We provide the full range of legal services to financial industry clients, advising on matters such as the following:
- Methods of accessing capital markets
- Acquisitions and mergers
- Branch transactions
- Loan workouts
- Creditor’s rights and receivership representation and litigation
- Interest rate swaps
- Sale and enforcement of loan participation agreements
- Executive compensation and planning issues, including executive employment contracts and stock option, bonus, and deferred compensation plans
- Non-competition agreements
- Structuring of tax-qualified plans
- Labor and human resource issues