Uttam is an accomplished attorney with more than 30 years of legal experience, including over 20 years in key roles within the federal government. During his storied career, Uttam has served in high-profile positions at the White House, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Department of Homeland Security, INTERPOL Washington, and the House of Representatives.
His law practice is centered on legislative and regulatory oversight, government investigations, and white collar defense. In addition to his role as a partner at Michael Best, Uttam is also a principal at Michael Best Consulting LLC. Previously, Uttam was a co-founder and principal of DC Consulting LLC, a consulting firm specializing in law enforcement and drug-related issues.
Uttam’s extensive federal government and legal experience includes the following:
- United States Department of Justice
- 2020 – 2021 – Director of INTERPOL Washington serving as the official U.S. representative to the world’s largest police organization.
- 2018 – 2020 – Acting Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration.
- 2003 – 2006 – Associate Deputy Attorney General.
- 1990 – 1997 – Assistant United States Attorney, Central District of California.
- The White House
- 2017-2018 – Deputy White House Counsel and Deputy Assistant to the President.
- United States Department of Homeland Security
- 2006 – 2009 – Nominated by the President and unanimously confirmed by the Senate to serve as the first Director of the Office of Counternarcotics Enforcement.
- United States House of Representatives
- 2013 – 2017 – Chief Oversight Counsel, United States House of Representatives Financial Services Committee.
- 2003 – Chief Counsel and Deputy Staff Director, House Select Committee on Homeland Security.
- 1997 – 1998 – Senior Investigative Counsel, House Committee on Government Reform and Oversight.
Before Uttam established roots in Washington D.C., he began his law career on the West Coast as a commercial litigator in private practice, honing his litigation skills while working for several large national firms.
- Member, Board of Directors, Opioid Clinical Management, Inc.
- Member, Board of Advisors, DisposeRx, Inc.
- Member, Board of Advisors, Gatekeeper Innovation, Inc.
- Federal Liaison, Board of Directors, International Association of Chiefs of Police (2018-2020)
- Member, The Federalist Society
March 11, 2023
December 28, 2022
December 7, 2022
September 14, 2022
September 1, 2022
August 31, 2022
August 30, 2022
July 12-13, 2022
April 20, 2022
April 2, 2022
March 10, 2022
February 14, 2022
February 11, 2022
January 19, 2022
December 31, 2021