Teresa has more than 20 years of experience procuring patent protection in the area of life sciences, working with clients in the therapeutics and pharmaceutical space in their product life cycles from discovery to development to manufacturing and marketing. She also provides strategic patent advice in regulatory matters such as Food and Drug Administration Orange Book listing and Hatch-Waxman patent term extension.
Teresa’s clients range from growing pharmaceutical and biotech companies to multi-national companies. She works extensively with the patent and technology transfer offices of many universities.
Her experience includes:
- Metabolic inhibitors
- Development and use of artificial antibodies
- Proteomics and genomics
- Transgenic plants and animals
- Biologics such as fibrin glues
- Enzymatic and chemical development for utilizing cellulosic biomass and feedstock
- Improved catalytic conversion of petroleum and biofuels and batteries and energy-storage technologies of biofuels
- Medical devices such as orthopedic bone plates and catheter technology
Teresa also counsels start-up and venture capital firms involved in life sciences, e.g., developing and managing patent portfolios, patentability analyses, and freedom-to-operate/clearance investigations as well as negotiating and preparing all types of license agreements, development and joint development arrangements, sponsored research agreements, and asset purchase arrangements.
Teresa’s reputation as a valued advisor led to her position as a consultant for the Missouri House of Representatives on the topics of energy policy and on science and technology issues in state legislation. She also taught Patent Law at the University of Wisconsin Law School for 15 years, and worked as a consultant to the Division of Nuclear Medicine, Washington Medical School in St. Louis, Missouri for development of radiological diagnostics.
Honors & Recognitions
- “Lawyer of the Year," The Best Lawyers in America©, 2018
- Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer, Chambers USA
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice and Patent Law, 2011-present
- The Midwest’s Best Lawyers©, Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice and Patent Law, 2021
- Madison Magazine, top lawyer in the area of intellectual property
Consultant for Missouri House of Representatives on energy policy and on science and technology issues in state legislation
Consultant to the Division of Nuclear Medicine, Washington University Medical School for development of radiological diagnostics
Producer, Director, Writer and Commentator for an ABC affiliate television series on science for the public entitled “What in the World Isn’t Chemical?”
- Member Board of Directors, Tempo International Women’s Business Organization
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin, Past Chair, Board of Directors, Intellectual Property Section
- Member, American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section, Biotechnology Committee
- Member, Past President, Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, American Chemical Society, Chemistry and the Law Division
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association, Biotechnology Committee
- Member, BioForward (Wisconsin’s biotechnology and medical device association)
- Member, Edgewood College Board of Trustees