Steve focuses his practice in the areas of taxation and general corporate matters with a specific emphasis on non-profit tax, partnership tax, and Section 1031 Tax Deferred Exchange transactions. He advises clients on federal, state, and local business and tax issues arising from a broad range of complex transactions involving:
- Organization and assistance with business start-ups
- Buying and selling businesses
- Succession planning for businesses and real estate transactions (including tax-deferred 1031 exchanges and low-income housing tax credit deals)
- Nonprofit compliance issues (assisting nonprofit clients with obtaining initial tax-exempt status, dealing with unrelated business income taxes and assisting in maintaining tax-exempt status).
- Drafting initial partnership and operating agreements for Limited Liability Partnerships
Steve also has extensive experience representing nonprofit corporations of varying size, having worked closely with tax-exempt entities on organizational and tax compliance issues. He currently serves as general counsel to multiple trade associations and charitable organizations.