Peter advises technology-focused businesses, from emerging companies to leading global corporations, on strategies to build, protect, and leverage intellectual property portfolios that align with their business objectives.
His practice focuses on U.S. and international patent prosecution and licensing directed to mechanical, electronic, software, and materials science technologies. Some of the innovations Peter has experience with include wearable electronics, digital healthcare solutions, medical devices, micro-fluidic systems, propulsion systems, battery systems, computer hardware, software, networking, and infrastructure systems, optical and imaging technologies, composite materials, packaging systems, and consumer goods.
In addition to developing efficient patent prosecution and global filing strategies, and advising on portfolio optimization, Peter prepares opinions of counsel, provides guidance in post-grant proceedings, and counsels on effective enforcement strategies. He also advises clients on trademark prosecution and agreements as well as general IP matters. Finally, Peter counsels foreign entities on a variety of IP and business issues as they consider expansion into the U.S. market.
Prior to joining Michael Best, Peter was a member of an AmLaw 100 firm. He has practiced patent law for nearly 20 years, after spending his early career as a licensed professional engineer and engineering consultant. His engineering experience gives Peter an inside understanding of the creative and problem-solving processes involved in the development of new technologies.
Examples of Peter’s recent representation include the following:
- Represented leading healthcare and technology companies on strategically building global patent portfolios related to wearable devices, durable medical devices, digital healthcare solutions, monitoring devices, and healthcare management systems.
- Represented leading computer hardware manufacturers on strategically building and protecting their IP portfolios, including representation in inter partes review (IPR) proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
- Represented international leaders in engineering, manufacturing, and scientific research software technologies on strategically building and protecting IP portfolios.
- Represented world-renowned research institutions on licensed and non-licensed technologies directed to COVID-19-related technologies, microfluidic cell culture devices, medical imaging, positioning systems, and microelectron-mechanical system (MEMS) technologies.
- Represented both plaintiffs and defendants in patent litigation and other intellectual property matters related to medical device, imaging, and digital technologies.
- Counsel foreign companies on U.S. market entry activities.
- President-Elect, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC)
- Board of Directors, Illinois Intellectual Property Alliance
- Member, Transatlantic Advisory Council of Bucerius Law School in Hamburg, Germany