Nick focuses his practice on real estate, tax, and corporate law, including:
- Real and personal property tax assessments, property tax exemptions, and PILOT agreements.
- Eminent domain matters involving challenges to a condemnor’s right to take property, just compensation appeals, and obtaining relocation benefits for displaced property owners and tenants.
- All aspects of the acquisition, sale, or lease of commercial, residential, and industrial properties.
- Preparation and negotiation of option agreements, easements, covenants, licenses, and other real estate documents.
- Zoning and permit approvals, tax incremental financing (TIF), and development agreements.
- The acquisition and sale of businesses, including negotiation of asset and stock purchase agreements.
Nick’s considerable trial and appellate experience includes appearing before the Wisconsin Supreme Court. He also has extensive business experience working in both the tax and real estate industries, which, along with his litigation experience, gives him a real-world understanding of his clients’ issues and risks they face. He is known to provide pragmatic, business-minded advice.
Before joining Michael Best, Nick was an associate with another full-service law firm and an attorney with Deloitte Tax LLP. While attending law school, he held internships in the Attorney General’s Office at the Wisconsin Department of Justice as well as with Wisconsin’s Office of the Governor where he worked directly with former Governor Scott Walker’s Chief Legal Counsel. Prior to law school, he served as a White House intern and was later promoted to a Staff Assistant in Legislative Affairs at the White House. While obtaining his B.B.A. in Finance, Nick worked at the Milwaukee-area affiliate of Cushman & Wakefield.
- Member, Milwaukee Bar Association; Courts Committee
- Member, NAIOP; Public Policy Committee
- Member, Federalist Society
- Wisconsin Chairman, Republican National Lawyers Association
- Speaker, Annual Condemnation Appraisal Symposium 2015-2018