Matthew assists early-stage and emerging companies and investors with navigating the unique legal and regulatory challenges within the fast-growing cannabis industry.
He provides legal counsel and business advice on a range of corporate and transactional matters, including entity formation and governance, fund formation, equity and debt financing, mergers and acquisitions, and more. Matthew also assists clients with meeting regulatory compliance, obtaining intellectual property protection, applying for business licensing, and completing real estate purchase and lease transactions.
Before joining Michael Best, Matthew was an associate with a Boston-based law firm that specializes in cannabis law. While there, Matthew regularly worked with local government leaders to obtain regulatory approvals and permits for clients‘ business operations. He also collaborated with clients‘ teams on business plans, pitch decks, and other materials to assist with fundraising efforts.
Previously, Matthew was an associate with a national full-service law firm specializing in the cannabis-industry, where he assisted clients with a variety of typical start-up business transactions, including convertible note and Series A financings. He served as a law clerk at both firms while completing his J.D. and M.B.A.
Earlier, Matthew served as a Fellow with Silicon Flatirons, a Colorado nonprofit, where he worked with the Denver Mayor’s Office to assist cannabis businesses with key regulatory compliance issues.
Matthew’s recent representative experience includes the following:
- Assisted in drafting and negotiating a convertible promissory note subscription packet including a purchase agreement, promissory note, schedule of investments, investor suitability questionnaire, and risk factors for investors to successfully raise $4 million+ in capital to finance a large-scale cultivation facility in Massachusetts.
- Represented a client in Massachusetts in a $3 million+ Stock Purchase and Sale Agreement for a vertically integrated cannabis cultivation, product manufacturer, and retailer, including negotiation of original Letter of Intent and Payoff Agreements.
- Assisted a West Virginia client with the development of a successful response to a competitive Request for Proposal application—including obtaining all necessary local approvals and developing plans for compliance with state laws, as well as ownership interest, financing, facility plans, and more--and helped in the selection of locations for a cultivation and product manufacturing facility, as well as six dispensing facilities. Also assisted with zoning, entitlements, documentation, and agreements.
- Advised multiple clients on securing trademark protection for their cannabis and CBD brands. Drafted and responded to cease and desist letters for trademarked goods and services.
- Assisted a California client in preparing agreements for branding, purchases, inventory management, equipment, and distribution.
- Conducted due diligence for a multistate cannabis operator that was undergoing a merger.
- Assisted in the development of legal opinion letters related to cannabis and CBD industry operations.
- Member, American Bar Association