Luke focuses his practice on trademark and copyright law. Known for his close relationships with clients and the practical advice he offers on a wide range of complex matters, he assists in the acquisition, enforcement, use, and management of IP assets in the U.S. and worldwide.
Luke counsels clients in a variety of industries, including retail, sports and sporting goods, consumer products, and financial services. In this capacity, he has successfully represented clients before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. He also handles transactions involving the acquisition, disposition, and licensing of intellectual property and business assets.
Luke also represents recording and performing artists, content creators, entertainment producers, record labels, and advertisers in connection with contractual and intellectual property matters related to music and other aspects of the entertainment industry. He provides clients with practical advice regarding music and entertainment law issues such as copyright clearance, licensing, and fair use analyses.
Recent representations include:
- Trademarks: Manage global trademark portfolios for iconic brands, including devising cost-effective international filing and enforcement strategies
- Trademark Lawsuit: Successfully enforced trademark rights for a major financial services firm against an infringing financial advisor, culminating in a trial victory and permanent injunction against the competitor
- IP Licensing: Negotiated an agreement for a hospitality industry client to create a theme park attraction using famous third-party intellectual property
- Contracts: Negotiated a multi-tiered music distribution agreement for a chart-topping record label
Honors & Recognitions
- The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals - World Trademark Review 1000, 2018-2021
- IP Stars, Managing Intellectual Property magazine, 2015-present
- "Illinois Super Lawyers" list, Super Lawyers magazine, 2009-2010, 2014-present
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Entertainment Law - Music, 2007-present
- The Midwest’s Best Lawyers©, Entertainment Law - Music, 2021
- “40 Illinois Attorneys under 40 to Watch,” Law Bulletin Publishing, 2006
- Lexology Client Choice Award, Media & Entertainment, 2016
- Leading Illinois Lawyer, Entertainment Law, The Leading Lawyers Network
- Leading Media & Entertainment Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2005-2015
- Member, International Trademark Association, Right of Publicity Committee
- Member, Co-Vice Chair 2004, Co-Chair 2005, Chicago Bar Association, Entertainment Law Committee