Laura helps clients protect their brands and artistic works through trademark and copyright prosecution, clearance, counseling, and enforcement, including trademark opposition, cancellation, and infringement proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) and global courts and trademark offices. Laura is a trusted advisor charged with leading the negotiation and preparation of licenses, assignments, and other IP-related contracts. She has extensive experience counseling individuals and estates on managing and protecting copyright assets through trust and estate planning, as well as devising and implementing strategies to maximize the benefits of the statutory mechanism known as copyright termination.
Laura also assists clients with:
- Fair-use analyses
- Copyright permissions and licenses
- Work made for hire agreements
- Rights of publicity issues
- U.S. and international customs recordation of trademarks and copyrights
- Online enforcement of trademark and copyright rights
- USPTO’s Trademark Post-Registration Audit Program
- Domain name transfers
Additionally, Laura advises on a variety of entertainment law matters. She negotiates and prepares production agreements, collaboration agreements, distribution agreements, talent agreements, publishing agreements, location agreements, publicity agreements, and other entertainment law contracts. She also counsels clients on various union compliance issues in the entertainment industry. Laura is also experienced with advising on endorsement deals and influencer agreements that align with the Federal Trade Commission’s guidelines.
Laura is a former media and event producer and digital strategist. Before becoming an attorney, she worked for Los Angeles-, Chicago-, and New York-based international entertainment companies where she produced entertainment content for a prominent entertainment brand, shepherded the development of new digital strategies, oversaw the launch of new product lines, and managed national special promotions. Laura also worked for a leading talent agency in New York where she drafted and negotiated contracts on behalf of clients, including agreements for the 2014 Sochi Olympic Games. This industry experience allows her to provide practical, business-minded advice to clients. Laura is also a frequent speaker on intellectual property, entertainment law, and related issues.
Honors & Recognitions
- Discovery Scholar Prize Winner, University of Southern California, 2011
- Member, Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO), Copyright Law & Anti-Piracy Committee and Next Generation Leaders Committee
- Board Member and Treasurer, Sports & Entertainment Law section, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Copyright Society of the USA
- Member, Madison Women in IP