Notable successes include:
- Avoiding patent infringement suits through patent clearance, or freedom to operate, analyses designed to reduce infringement risks
- Representing a power tool industry client launching a technology product into a crowded patent landscape. Kevin and his team requested reexaminations of problematic patents by the USPTO; provided strategic design advice to reduce infringement risks; and obtained patent protection for unique aspects of client’s design. The client has launched its product.
- Obtaining patent protection for hardware and software aspects of embedded control systems in various client industries including the mining industry, medical imaging industry, high-speed microscope industry and renewable energy industry
- Providing a consumer product client a strategic patent application filing strategy for platform-wide software and user interface features
- Preparing patent applications for a telecommunications client
- Drafting an intellectual property agreement for technology companies embarking on a joint product development
Prior to joining Michael Best, Kevin worked as a patent examiner for the USPTO, where he focused on computer architecture and instruction processing, such as scalar, superscalar, multi-core and array processors, as well as instruction pipelines and branch prediction.