Clients look to Kevin for strategic counsel on the protection of their intellectual property, including acquisition of, enforcement of, and defense against United States and international patents.
His strong track record in these areas, paired with a technical background as a product engineer, give Kevin a unique perspective on the challenges facing developers of mechanical, electro-mechanical, and biomedical technologies.
Kevin has significant experience in the areas of fitness equipment, motorcycles, vehicle braking systems, bicycles, theatrical lifts and lighting, window coverings, and digital cameras.
His focus includes:
- Counseling clients in challenging the validity and enforceability of competitors’ patents through ex parte and inter partes reexamination proceedings, and Post-Grant Proceedings, such as inter partes reviews (IPR)
- Acquiring, enforcing, and counseling on United States and foreign patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets
- Negotiating and providing counsel on worldwide intellectual property licenses and technology transfers
- Product development counseling
- Preparing validity and infringement opinions
Kevin’s work is regularly honored by regional and national ranking organizations. Since 2013, he has been named a “Leader in The Field” by Chambers USA and an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine. Within the firm, Kevin has held various leadership roles, including as a member of the Management Committee, Chair of the Intellectual Property Group, and leader of the Advanced Manufacturing Team.
Prior to joining Michael Best, Kevin worked at a Colorado-based boutique IP law firm and as a product engineer for Trek Bicycle Corporation.