Clients look to Thor for strategic counsel on all aspects of corporate law, business transactions, and finance. He applies his broad business knowledge and extensive experience to represent clients in domestic and international mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures, as well as debt and equity restructurings and financings.
Thor advises boards of directors of publicly traded and privately held companies on strategic and corporate governance matters, and has conducted internal investigations throughout the world.
Thor’s work is regularly honored by regional and national ranking organizations. Since 2004, Chambers USA has named him a “Leader in The Field.” Who’s Who Legal named him as one of the world’s leading attorneys in the area of Corporate Governance. He is the only Wisconsin attorney to achieve this distinction.
Representative transactions in which Thor acted as lead counsel include:
- A share for share public merger of two publicly traded Fortune 500 manufacturers
- A public takeover of a United Kingdom company by a U.S.-based holding company
- The largest merger of non-stock corporations in the U.S, which involved four separate entities
- Acting as sole advisor to the independent directors of two public companies in “going private” transactions
Thor has also represented banking syndicates and individual banks in:
- Restructuring senior and junior credit facilities of both publicly traded and privately held manufacturing and retail companies
- Structuring credit facilities to borrowers, including bank holding company borrowers and successfully recovering funds upon subsequent defaults. These representations occurred in numerous jurisdictions throughout the United States.
Additionally, Thor has successfully acted as lead counsel and supervising attorney for a client named in more than 35 lawsuits throughout the United States.
Honors & Recognitions
- Leading Corporate/M&A Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2004-present
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Corporate Law & Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2005-present
- The Midwest’s Best Lawyers©, Corporate Law & Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2021
- Client Service All-Star, BTI Consulting Group, 2014
- Named one of the world’s leading lawyers in the area of Corporate Governance by Who’s Who Legal 2021. Thor is the only Wisconsin attorney selected for this honor.
- Military Service
- U.S. Army - Vietnam, 1970-1971
- Director, Nicholas Company
- Honorary Member, Wisconsin PGA
- Past Member, University of Minnesota Law School Board of Advisors
- President and Director, The Tryall Club, Jamaica W.I., 2000-2007
- Adjunct Instructor, University of Wisconsin Law School
- Panelist, American Bar Association National Institutes
- Former Chair, Wisconsin Bar Association, Committee on Business Development