Jon is a persuasive and effective advocate for large commercial clients seeking to protect their intellectual property assets. His outstanding track record is built on successful outcomes in high-profile litigation related to patents directed at a wide range of technologies.
Jon’s common sense and diligent attention to client goals have proven a winning combination in dozens of trademark, unfair competition, and trade libel cases across the United States. His patent enforcement and infringement work encompasses a wide range of technical areas, including:
- Computer systems
- Mining equipment
- Digital music files
- Snow blowers
- Lawn mowers
- Food processing machinery
- Medical equipment
- Dairy cattle monitoring
A frequent lecturer on legal ethics, Jon is also the General Counsel of Michael Best. He has taught as an adjunct professor at Marquette University Law School for more than 15 years on topics related to patent and trademark litigation. Prior to joining Michael Best, Jon practiced litigation at one of the leading law firms in Chicago.
Global patent dispute over agricultural equipment
Jon represented a Dutch company making innovative dairy cattle detection devices in a patent case brought by an Israel-based competitor. The disputed technology involved electronic behavior detectors, and Jon sought testimony from a series of experts included leading animal behavior scientists. The litigation entailed international depositions, as well as patent battles in both the U.S. and Europe. Jon obtained a summary judgment of noninfringement on his client’s behalf on the eve of the trial.
Generator manufacturer defense hinging on long-archived evidence
Jon successfully defended his generator company client, Kohler Co., against a complaint brought by another major manufacturer directed at Internet control of the equipment. Jon worked with Kohler to find invalidating prior art, including long-deleted Internet evidence he retrieved, that proved the technology was not patentable. The jury for the weeklong trial, in U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Wisconsin, found that the patent had not been infringed upon, and were invalid.
Enforcement of trailer patent
Jon successfully tried a weeklong jury trial in Madison, Wisconsin on behalf of a large trailer manufacturer enforcing its patent related to an innovative advance in sidewall construction. The jury awarded a multimillion dollar verdict in favor of the client.
Defense of LED flashlight distributors
In this matter directed at LED flashlight technology, Jon represented a number of flashlight manufacturers and national retailers. During the course of the case, his clients discovered that the plaintiff’s evidence of its conception date was suspect. Using a former FBI forensic document examiner, Jon proved that the plaintiff’s evidence was falsified. The judge in the four-day bench trial not only found the plaintiff’s patent unenforceable, but awarded attorneys’ fees to all the defendants.
Patent defense on behalf of a major luggage manufacturer
A competitor of Jon’s client, Ricardo Beverly Hills (RBH), one of the nation’s largest luggage manufactures, filed a complaint alleging patent infringement. The case involved the addition of what seemed to RBH to be an old feature (zippers) appended to wheeled luggage. The jury in U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey found for RBH on all counts, and both absolved the defendant of infringement and invalidated the patent-in-suit.
Honors & Recognitions
- “Lawyer of the Year,” Litigation – Patent Law, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2012, 2015, 2018, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent, Patent Law, Trademark Law, 2011-present
- The Midwest’s Best Lawyers©, Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent, Patent Law, Trademark Law, 2021
- Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2006-present
- Litigation Star (Intellectual Property), Benchmark Litigation, 2013-present
- IP Stars, Managing Intellectual Property magazine, 2015-present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent®
- IAM Patent 1000 – World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, 2015-present
- “Wisconsin Super Lawyers” list, Super Lawyers magazine, 2005, 2008-2017
- “Leading Lawyers” list published by Milwaukee's M Magazine, 2012, 2015
- Parents of the Year Award Recipient, COA Youth & Family Centers, 2019
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Milwaukee Bar Association