Jeff counsels clients on a wide range of business and intellectual property matters, including trademark, copyright, advertising, and unfair competition. He assists clients in developing strategies to protect, exploit, and enforce their intellectual property rights and represents them against allegations of infringement.
Jeff has substantial experience representing clients in contested proceedings, including before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and the World Intellectual Property Organization, as well as self-regulatory bodies such as the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus. His experience also includes numerous transactions involving acquiring, disposing, and licensing of intellectual property and business assets, and he is well-versed in the legal issues regarding the Internet and e-commerce.
Clients also seek Jeff’s advice with respect to their advertising, marketing, and promotions. Jeff collaborates with client marketing teams and their agencies to provide guidance regarding advertising and promotional materials and advises them regarding claim substantiation and comparative advertising. He also represents clients in challenges to their competitors’ advertisements and vigorously defends them against challenges brought by competitors and regulators. Clients look to Jeff for help in structuring and executing effective and legally compliant contests, sweepstakes, and other promotions.
As a former concert producer and promoter, Jeff has practical experience structuring and negotiating entertainment deals. He represents recording and performing artists and entertainment companies when negotiating recording and performance agreements, license agreements, merchandising deals, and other uses of creative works. He also negotiates branded entertainment, product placement, and sponsorship deals, including in connection with television programming, concert and performance tours, and large-scale events. He is experienced with negotiating sponsorship and endorsement deals on behalf of entertainers as well as brand owners. Jeff is highly experienced with respect to copyright matters. He guides clients in their rights clearances, assists them with copyright fair use assessments, and defends clients with respect to allegations of infringement.
Honors & Recognitions
- The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals - World Trademark Review 1000, 2021
- “Lawyer of the Year” (Chicago area), Advertising Law, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2013, 2016, 2019, 2020, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Advertising Law and Entertainment Law - Music, 2007-present
- The Midwest’s Best Lawyers©, Advertising Law and Entertainment Law - Music, 2021
- “Lawyer of the Year” (Chicago area), Entertainment Law - Music, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2020
- Leading Media & Entertainment Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2005-2015
- “Illinois Super Lawyers” list, Super Lawyers magazine, 2006–present
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association, Entertainment Law Committee, Creative Arts Law Committee, and Intellectual Property Law Committee
- Member, National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences