Emily focuses her practice in the areas of trademark and copyright law. She counsels clients on prosecution, portfolio management, clearance, enforcement, and dispute resolution, helping businesses protect and defend their valuable brand assets.
In the U.S., Emily has represented clients before state and federal trial and appeals courts, including the North Carolina Supreme Court, as well as the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She also works closely with clients to help coordinate international protection programs around the world, including a number of major brands with significant IP portfolios. Emily has particular expertise representing clients in the fintech, pharmaceutical, tourism, and retail sectors.
Emily has built a strong enforcement and defense practice in the ever-evolving internet, social media, and e-commerce space. Additionally, she advises and defends clients with respect to trade secret and unfair competition disputes, contracts and related business torts, and litigation.
Prior to joining Michael Best, Emily was an associate and later a member of a Cary, North Carolina law firm where she focused on trademark, copyright, and patent litigation.
- Successfully defended a health industry client in an online AdWords (search engine advertising) case in both trial and appellate courts
- Successfully represented an automotive industry client in a false advertising case and a trademark infringement case
- Successfully represented a photographer in a copyright licensing and infringement case
- Successfully represented a charity in trademark and cybersquatting case
- Prosecuted chemical and biochemical patent applications to issuance before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Prosecuted trademark applications to registration before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the North Carolina Secretary of State Office
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers®, Women in the Law (Raleigh, NC), Intellectual Property Law, 2022-Present
- The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals - World Trademark Review 1000, 2022-Present
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Trademark Law, 2021-present
- Legal Elite, Intellectual Property Law, Business North Carolina Magazine, 2022
- Member, INTA
- Public Information Committee, 2020-Present
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association
- Chair, Trademark Sub-Committee 2022-Present
- Member, Wake County Bar Association