Chris is a trusted advisor to myriad clients facing insolvency-related challenges and opportunities. Years of litigation experience in state and bankruptcy court gives Chris the perspective to provide pragmatic and comprehensive counsel, enabling his clients to make informed business decisions under difficult circumstances.
In particular, Chris has extensive experience representing banks, private equity, corporations, and other secured and unsecured creditors with respect to:
- Bankruptcy, including representation of vendors and landlords in large national Chapter 11 cases, enforcing liens against real estate, equipment, and other business assets in Chapters 11, 12, and 13, and non-dischargeability litigation.
- Commercial foreclosures, including multi-tenant and mixed-use buildings, apartment developments, and hotels.
- Workouts, including loan restructuring, discounted payoff agreements, and deeds in lieu of foreclosure. Negotiation and litigation related to lien priority, asset disposition, and preference demands in the context of Wisconsin’s unique Chapter 128 receivership proceedings.
- Enforcement of clients’ Article 9 remedies in equipment and other business assets through self-help repossession and state court replevin litigation.
Chris also has complementary practices involving real estate, construction, and cannabis matters in which he represents businesses, lenders, and individuals with respect to:
- Real Estate
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating commercial real estate loan documents.
- Buying or selling commercial real estate, including due diligence, zoning, and development matters.
- Representing buyers in the acquisition and management of distressed and real estate owned (REO) properties.
- Representing landlords and tenants in commercial lease disputes.
- Negotiation and litigation of construction project invoice disputes.
- Filing and enforcing construction liens under Chapter 779 of the Wisconsin Statutes.
- Navigating the opportunities and regulatory challenges of the legalized hemp and CBD industry in Wisconsin.
- Advising clients on insolvency developments specific to the cannabis industry.
Chris also enthusiastically supports many Milwaukee-area nonprofits and passionately serves his community. Chris is a director and committee co-chair for Acts Housing, which is dedicated to empowering families through affordable homeownership. Chris is also a director for Hispanic Professionals of Greater Milwaukee, which works with Milwaukee-area students, professionals, and organizations to help Hispanic professionals achieve greater levels of success.
Prior to joining Michael Best, Chris was a shareholder in a Milwaukee-based full-service firm, where he served as Chair of the firm’s Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights practice and Co-chair of the Hemp, CBD, and Cannabis practice.
Honors & Recognitions
- Rising Star, Wisconsin Super Lawyers, Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights section
- Chair of Bankruptcy Section and Member, Milwaukee Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin, Bankruptcy, Insolvency, and Creditors’ Rights Section
- Member, The American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Turnaround Management Association, Chicago/Midwest Chapter