Chris is a trusted advisor to a myriad of clients facing insolvency-related problems. Years of advocating in and out of court gives Chris the perspective to provide clients with comprehensive counsel and enable them to make informed business decisions under difficult circumstances.
In particular, Chris has extensive experience representing banks, private equity, corporations, and other secured and unsecured creditors with respect to:
- Bankruptcy, including representation of vendors and landlords in large national Chapter 11 cases, enforcing liens against real estate, equipment, and other business assets in Chapters 11, 12, and 13, and non-dischargeability litigation
- Negotiation and litigation related to lien priority, asset disposition, and preference demands in the context of Wisconsin’s unique Chapter 128 receivership proceedings
- Commercial foreclosures, including multi-tenant and mixed-use buildings, apartment developments, and hotels
- Workouts, including loan restructuring, discounted payoff agreements, and deeds in lieu of foreclosure
- Enforcement of clients’ Article 9 remedies in equipment and other business assets through self-help repossession and state court replevin litigation
Chris also has complementary practices involving real estate, construction, and cannabis matters in which he represents businesses, lenders, and individuals with respect to:
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating commercial real estate loan documents
- Buying or selling commercial real estate, including due diligence, zoning, and development matters
- Representing buyers in the acquisition and management of distressed and real estate owned (REO) properties
- Representing landlords and tenants in commercial lease disputes
- Negotiation and litigation of construction project invoice disputes
- Filing and enforcing construction liens under Chapter 779 of the Wisconsin Statutes
- Navigating the opportunities and regulatory challenges of the legalized hemp and CBD industry in Wisconsin.
Prior to joining Michael Best, Chris was a shareholder in a Milwaukee-based full service firm, where he served as Chair of the firm’s Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights practice and Co-chair of the Hemp, CBD, and Cannabis practice.
Honors & Recognitions
- Rising Star, Wisconsin Super Lawyers, Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights section
- Chair of Bankruptcy Section and Member, Milwaukee Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin, Bankruptcy, Insolvency, and Creditors’ Rights Section
- Member, The American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Turnaround Management Association, Chicago/Midwest Chapter