Arthur offers clients a winning combination of trial and appellate experience gained as a federal prosecutor and more than 20 years of experience in handling trademark, copyright, patent, and trade secrets litigation.
While his practice concentrates on intellectual property litigation, Arthur also has significant experience in internal investigations, False Claims Act suits, partnership and breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract matters. Arthur also has represented clients testifying before Congressional committees.
Arthur writes and speaks frequently on topics ranging from the case against Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to patent litigation reform.
Prior to joining Michael Best, Arthur served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of New York, where he was the lead prosecutor in criminal trials, including federal intellectual property crimes. He also argued numerous appeals.
Arthur is highly experienced in intellectual property, criminal, and general litigation. He has:
- Successfully enforced trademark rights for a major financial services firm against an infringing financial advisor, culminating in a trial victory and permanent injunction against the competitor
- Represented a major factory supply company in its suit against a competitor who attempted to confuse customers by using our client’s Internet domain name. Arthur's efforts resulted in one of the first published opinions establishing personal jurisdiction in cyber-pirate cases
- Protected trademark rights of well-known restaurant chain
- Defended a software company against a request for a preliminary injunction based on allegations of copyright infringement and theft of trade secrets
- Protected patent rights of DRAM inventor in suits against major video-game makers, including obtaining a Writ of Mandamus from the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Defended a major automobile manufacturer in trade dress litigation against a competitor arising out of the design of a new sport utility vehicle
- Represented a defendant in an anti-trust jury trial in which the plaintiff was seeking approximately $750 million in damages. We obtained a complete defense verdict, which was hailed as a National Law Journal 1995 verdict of the year
- Conducted internal investigations, including investigation of alleged violations of the False Claims Act and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
- Successfully defended manufacturer of light fixtures in design and utility patent suits
- Obtained prompt dismissals of a pair of patent suits against a prominent university
- Defended telecommunications supplier in patent and trade secret action
- Defended a major financial institution in patent litigation relating to Internet-based account applications
- Defended a medical device manufacturer in a Markman hearing and two-week patent infringement jury trial
- Defended a major kitchen cabinet manufacturer in a two-week design patent infringement jury trial
- Represented a defendant pro bono in an appeal of his conviction before the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, resulting in a written commendation from the Court of Arthur’s advocacy on behalf of the defendant
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2014-present
- "Illinois Super Lawyers" list, Super Lawyers magazine, 2010, 2015-2017
- "Illinois Rising Stars" list, Super Lawyers magazine in area of Intellectual Property Litigation, 2009
- "40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 Years Old to Watch," Chicago’s Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 2007
- Service awards recipient, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of the Inspector General, and from the New York City Police Department, 2005
- Chairman, National Outreach Committee, Member, Preservation and Early Assessment Committee, Seventh Circuit Electronic Discovery Pilot Program
- Chairman, Intellectual Property Committee, Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Member, Austin Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Member, Austin Intellectual Property Lawyer’s Association