Alec serves as primary outside counsel to national, regional, and community banks on interest rate swaps, foreign exchange, commodities, and other derivatives product lines, including documentation for customer transactions and Dodd-Frank Act compliance. In addition, he represents end-users on interest rate swaps, foreign exchange, commodities, and other derivatives transactions and compliance.
Alec also practices in the areas of commercial lending, corporate finance, and mergers and acquisitions. As a lending attorney, he has represented financial institutions and borrowers in a broad range of transactions, including:
- Secured and unsecured credit transactions of all sizes and types
- Loan syndications and participations
- Leveraged buyout financings
- Reorganizations and workouts
- Correspondent banking transactions
- Equipment finance
- Municipal finance transactions
Alec is a past chair of the firm’s Banking and Financial Services Industry Group.
Representative transactions and engagements include:
- Assisting community and regional banks to establish new hedging programs for their commercial banking customers, including Dodd-Frank compliance and development of form trading documents and credit policies
- Assisting a regional bank to establish a commodities hedging program, including preparation of form trading documents, credit policies, and submissions for regulatory approval
- Leading a team which prepares and negotiates more than 2,000 derivatives document sets annually for bank clients across the U.S., and for customers and transactions of all sizes and types
- Representing the private banking group of a large national bank in making customized loans to high-net worth individuals throughout the U.S.
- Representing a large national bank in administering Medallion Guarantee compliance policies and procedures
- Representing the municipal finance group of a national bank in direct purchase and letter of credit backed municipal bond transactions
Honors & Recognitions
- Leading Banking & Finance and Corporate/M&A Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2008-present
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Corporate Law, Banking and Finance Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2009-present
- The Midwest’s Best Lawyers©, Corporate Law, Banking and Finance Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2021
- Abele Catalyst Award, Milwaukee Film, 2019
- "Leading Lawyers" list, Milwaukee's M Magazine, 2013 and 2015
- Leaders in the Law, Wisconsin Law Journal, 2013
- Presidential Citation, The American School Health Association, 2012
- Inaugural Philanthropic Five Award, United Way, 2008
- Member, International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc.
- American Bar Association, Section on Business Law, Derivatives and Futures Law Committee
- American Bar Association, Commercial Finance Committee
- American Bar Association, Section on Business Law
- Wisconsin Bar Association