Alex is an experienced attorney who counsels corporations and tax-exempt organizations of all sizes on a range of corporate, transactional, restructuring, and regulatory compliance matters as well as crisis management and communications issues. Some of Alex’s clients have included major multinational corporations, tax-exempt advocacy groups, political committees, and media companies.
Alex began his legal career with a New York-based, international AmLaw 100 firm as an attorney in the firm’s Business Reorganization and Restructuring department. In that role, Alex advised debtors, asset purchasers, lenders, and other parties in interest in complex Chapter 11 proceedings, and represented foreign representatives, debtors, other fiduciaries, and creditors in precedent-setting Chapter 15 proceedings. Additionally, Alex served as counsel to a media placement company where he negotiated more than $500 million in high-profile media placements. He also has served as a key legal advisor to a major multi-candidate political action committee (PAC), various federal and state independent expenditure committees, 501(c)(4) organizations, a high-profile political campaign, and a large, diversified multinational private business.
In these prior roles, Alex developed overarching legal strategies and advised on issues including corporate compliance and governance, Federal Election Commission (FEC) compliance and reporting, joint fundraising and third-party contributions, and other significant asset transactions. He has also counseled clients on matters involving cybersecurity, data use and acquisition, intellectual property, high-stakes litigations and arbitrations, and COVID-19 regulations.
Alex also maintains a niche practice assisting multinational debtors and creditors in Chapter 15 proceedings. His experience includes the following:
- Successfully argued contentious matters in federal bankruptcy court.
- Negotiates settlements with creditor constituencies, including class-action litigants, union and non-union employees, landlords, and trade creditors.
- Develops, negotiates, and drafts plans of reorganization and disclosure statements, asset purchase agreements, and financing documents, as well as pleadings, briefs, and orders concerning asset sales, first-day relief, DIP financing, and executive compensation.
- Advises on issues arising in U.S. plenary and multi-lateral bankruptcy proceedings, including fraudulent transfers, competing plans of reorganization, choice-of-law rules, and recognition of foreign judgments, orders, and decrees.
- Alex co-authored the LexisNexis Practice Guide to Chapter 15 Proceedings.
Honors & Recognitions
- Mid-Size Company Transaction of the Year, TMA Award, 2013
- Restructuring Deal of the Year, IFLR Americas Award, 2012
- Deal of the Year, M&A Advisor Turnaround Award, 2011